Friday, August 8, 2008

For a good photo - a little somethin' somethin'

Here's a really quick and easy way to make your photos "pop" - oh you didn't know your photos could "pop" you say? Well, yes they can. If you have a photo you really like and want to share it, on the web or with family and friends or even print it, before you send it off try this little trick in Photoshop (either Elements or the regular version). I do this with both my wonderful Canon P&S pics and with my Nikon DSLR pics...It's easier than messing with the contrast and saturation settings (or even curves for the advanced users) if you have a photo that is good in your eyes but you just want to give it a little "oomph".

Go into Filter/Sharpen/Unsharp Mask and set the amount to 20, the radius to 60, and leave threshhold at 0. Here's an example SOOC (straight out of Camera - my P&S)This little trick will make your pictures go from
This:





















To This:






















Another Example:















Now you can also do this in Gimp and maybe some of the online editors, I haven't really looked at those..but I know many of you have Elements as it comes with a lot of cameras..Technically the term for this is "Defog" and for the Lightroom/ACR users - this is what the clarity slider does..

Brought to you by: Your own personal Geek: NGG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi NGG
You visited my blog, so I followed your link to check yours out. I am excited to see the photot tips. I just got a Nikon D80 and am having a blast with it. I have asked for photoshop for my upcoming B-Day and will keep visiting for tips. I am trying not to be paralyzed by fear at using it as I'm sure I will love it!

http://www.illusivejoy.wordpress.com