Sunday, August 3, 2008

Keepin' Busy


Well It's best to keep busy when you have a heavy heart.. I luckily have many things on my "honey do list" the first being mowing..Oh I forgot to mention that Cap'n Steve had to go to Florida to do some important errands. His timing was in no way coincidental to Lass' situation. So I needed to step in and do his "part".. This means a 4 -5 hour mow (We have 4 acres that we groom and 4.5 acres of woodlands).. A 4-5 hour mow isn't bad when you don't have to do it every 5 days. We share the weekly task and my side usually takes 1.5-2 hours while Steve's side takes 2-2.5 hours. Cap'n Steve normally powers a commercial size mower, the Snapper, that he handles beautifully, a throwback to his younger days when he worked on golf courses.





I have a John Deere lawn tractor.. a heavy duty one - not one of those you see in Home Ripoff.. okay - so I am proud of the machine.. but it has earned it over the last 6 years... not a hiccup.. and perfect for me - but not for the entire yard. We purchased this jewel after we realized I could not manage the Snapper - my hands were just too small.. Now I don't understand that since we all have seen many commercial mowers with people operating them who hardly seem taller than my 5'5" but alas I just couldn't span the grip/gear shift. Also we knew it was best to have a two mowers in case one went down. The yard can quickly get away from you if you miss a mow and then it is hell to catch up. The Snapper can operate like a zero turn radius when you walk behind it, thus getting in lots of tight corners easily that the JD can't even think about..My normal mowing is what we affectionately call the fairway (an easy 7 iron - par 3), not too many trees and a lot of wide open space..When Cap'n Steve must venture away I also mow "his" side of the property that has the trees and planting beds. The JD does a good job and I am along for the ride - so to speak...but I just can't get as close to the trees/fence line that Cap'n Steve and his fine machine can.


Mattie loves to roll in fresh cut grass.. one of the simple pleasures..

No comments: